|March 8, 2014|
In 966, Nichelle Nichols was cast as the communications officer for a starship. Her role as Lieutenant Uhura placed her as one of the first black depicted as a maid or minor character on US television. In fact Gene and Majel Roddenberry fought with Star Trek's network host to keep the character on the air. Her role as an intelligent, highly capable officer allowed numerous other girls of color to see themselves cast in positive proactive terms.
Nichols also worked with NASA to help girls and minorities seek out education and work in science and technology. Her foundation, "Women in Motion" continues this work today.
More here: http://nypost.com/2011/02/
- Where her last thought was
- Boigraphical Notes and Such
- Contact Me
- Juggling Some Affections: a little love story
- The Powdered Wig Series
- Capturing Myself
- Feminist Paper Dolls for March 2012
- Feminist Paper Dolls for March 2013
- Feminist Paper Dolls for March 2014
- Shadow Puppetry
- Gas Mask Series: The Studies and Underdrawings
- Bird Boys