Wednesday, September 24, 2014

the greenhouse

On January 1, 2014 my greenhouse- which was really a temporary carport with clear plastic- fell because of all the snow and cold.  While I was sad, I saw it as a chance to rebuild using recycled windows.  Finally on the last day of summer, my husband and I finished the vast majority of the work on the new greenhouse.  With only small bits left to do, my greenhouse is ready for the winter planting.


We were able to incorporate a window painting that I made for the late Richmond, Maine artist Richard Lee's show using the old windows in his transformed mill studio.
Tree
sharpie on window

before the roof was up

chives covered to avoid paint

from outside

buttresses on the western wall...

Gin and whiskey bottles fill in weird gaps...

 We purchased, found and were given lots of windows.  We also used the left over plastic from the orignal greenhouse to cover the roof and door ways.  We hope next summer to recover the roof with corrugated plastic and find more windows to fit into the doorways.
my volunteer tomato plant...

mullein and a gnome

that is a couch in the corner there...


 We really have no idea how well this will hold up to the snow expected this winter.  Hopefully it will be okay.


As soon the roof went up, I began moving plants into the dirt inside the greenhouse.  Kale seeds are in the ground so that they can begin ground before it gets too cold.





Tuesday, September 16, 2014

Identity (Alchemy)

Identity (Alchemy)
watercolor, acrylic, ink and graphite on paper
32" x 44"

Saturday, September 6, 2014

Make-shift cages

Calibration (currently in progress)
watercolor and pencil
44" x 44"