Saturday, July 28, 2012

Sporadic Returns to the Feminist Paper Doll Project

In March 2012, I created a feminist paper doll a day.  This project was physically and emotionally draining for me.  (...like many artists, I also have a pay the bills job that tends to be pretty crazy in the springtime...) But I really liked doing it.  When the month was over, I was glad for the break away from researching and creating.  I did not feel, however that the project was complete.  There are so many folks who espouse feminist ideals and whether of not they pin that moniker on themselves they influence other folks like me who do wear feminist underwear.

So, I will be sporadically creating more dolls in this project.  I would like to resume with Harry Patch.  I have begun a blog that houses only my paper dolls.  Please do check it out.

"When the war ended, I don't know if I was more relieved that we'd won or that I didn't have to go back. Passchendaele was a disastrous battle – thousands and thousands of young lives were lost. It makes me angry. Earlier this year, I went back to Ypres to shake the hand of Herr Kuentz, Germany's only surviving veteran from the war. It was emotional. He is 107. We've had 87 years to think what war is. To me, it's a licence to go out and murder. Why should the British government call me up and take me out to a battlefield to shoot a man I never knew, whose language I couldn't speak? All those lives lost for a war finished over a table. Now what is the sense in that?" (Harry Patch)

No comments:

Post a Comment