Wednesday, March 6, 2013

Willow and Hanifa

March 5, 2013
Willow Smith
A dear friend asked me why Willow Smith.  My first response was this link, a Red Table talk between Jada Pinkett-Smith and Willow Smith. The conversation weaves through fame and priveldge and holding true to one's self and roots despite and because of fame.  Paying back to the the past and to the community and building up a better place than one was given.  Willow Smith seemed to "get" this.

My second response was her song I Am ME.  The music is not something I would listen to ( I prefer grungy blues stuff) BUT: the message of remaining one's self SHINES THROUGH in this song.  This girl loves herself and is letting other girls and boys know that that is okay. What a powerful thing.  Be yourself, be kind, and it's okay.

Third, I am curious as to what this young person will do given the power she possesses.  Where will she take  herself and her understanding of empowerment?

March 6, 2013
Hanifa at Skateistan
When skateboarding is considered a crime and being a girl is considered a crime, take the two, mix them up and make empowered skater grrrls.  That's what a program in Kabul, Afghanistan called "Skateistan" is doing!

No comments:

Post a Comment