Sunday, March 17, 2013

Confronting Race, Gender and Class Status through Words, Acting and Maps

March 15, 2013
Ntozake Shange

one thing I dont need
is any more apologies
i got sorry greetin me at my front door
you can keep yrs
i dont know what to do wit em
they dont open doors
from "for colored girls who have considered suicide with the rainbow is enuf"


March 16, 2013
LyndaCarterWonderWoman

As a child with dark hair, 

seeing her as a self assured and powerful woman on television every week was important.  

More here on how she got her role: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=koYvZ3SklIQ

March 17, 2013
Sikha Patra

“Before, my identity was either as my grandfather’s granddaughter or my father’s daughter or as someone who lives in the house by the temple,” she says. “Now, they say, ‘Oh, that’s Shikha.’ Or, ‘That’s the girl who does surveys – or teaches kids to paint – or trains them in sports.’ I feel like they know me for who I am.” 
More here: http://www.theworld.org/2013/01/kids-improve-lives-in-kolkata-slums/

No comments:

Post a Comment